The point of mindful meditation is to get you to clear your mind of thoughts in the past or future and just exist in the present. If you’re like me, your brain races at about 1,000 MPH and it’s difficult to get it to slow down and just be in the present.
So I concocted this little trick that helps me identify thoughts and then release them. During your mindful meditation session, rest your hands comfortably on your knees. For every thought about the past, tap your left knee. For every thought about the future, tap your right knee. Tapping doesn’t make noise, so it won’t distract you or any fellow-meditators. The tap becomes a little “reminder” to let that thought go.
Your goal is to get to the point where you are not tapping.
Past Thoughts Include:
- Rehashing a conversation/experience
- Rewriting a conversation/experience (what I should have said)
- Grief (missing what you once had)
- Reaction to an action or sound
Future Thoughts Include:
- To-Do List / Planning / Have Tos (i.e. I have to pay the bills tonight)
- Rehearsing a conversation/experience that will be happening in the future
- Worry (Bad thoughts about a future happening)
- Anticipation, Excitement (Good thoughts about a future happening)
- Wishing (Thoughts about possibilities)