When we read the news it’s hard to feel empowered. What can I do in my little corner of the world? Sometimes it feels overwhelming. So I put together twenty little things you can easily do this week (and next) to change the world.
1. Tell all of your people that you love them each day. Don’t let anyone you love wonder about that.
2. Tell all of your animal companions that you love them each day. Address them by their names. They understand.
3. Stop yourself from raising your voice in your home. It hurts your children, your housemates, your partner, your animals, and it hurts you. Calm yourself, and face conflict with love.
4. Speak up when you hear someone post or speak hate. Peacefully question it and let them know it’s not acceptable.
5. Tell someone in a marginalized class that they are wonderful. Either personally or through a public shoutout. A woman, a person of color, an LGBTQ community member. They need to hear it today.
6. Give to a charitable organization. Not just money, but your time as well. You have the time.
7. Question dogma. Question posts with no sources, no backup. Make up your own mind, do your own research.
8. As stated in episode 11, You are what you Tweet, put more positive energy out into the world, both writing and speaking.
9. Cut off relationships with negative people. Don’t let people demean you, suck your energy, bring chaos into your life. They don’t belong in your peace bubble.
10. Give a person or a company a positive review for others to see. Tell them their product, service, book, film, or podcast is appreciated.
11. Give something of yours to someone else. Not just to a thrift store, but personally to someone who could need it or want it.
12. Stop working so hard and give your time to the people who need and want it the most – your family. Remember the old saying: No one dies wishing they had worked more.
13. Pay it forward. Do something nice for someone “just because.”
14. Find positive, creative, ways to express your feelings, your love, your rage, your sadness. Write, paint, sing, dance, plant, Creating is our superpower.
15. Support artists, musicians, and creators who aren’t famous yet. Share their work.
16. Be mindful and aware of what you choose as entertainment. Are you infusing your mind and spirit with violent images?
17. Send love out to the world, the entire world, even to those whom you oppose. Teach your children to do the same and they’ll learn compassion.
18. Don’t support companies and industries that are killing the earth, the animals, and putting your health and well-being at risk.
19. Plant a tree. It’s easy. It can be free if you follow #6, and give of your time to an environmental organization.
20. Believe in yourself. You have power. You own a place in this world. Don’t believe you can’t do something because you’re only one person. Look at what kids are doing now. Greta Thunberg is taking on the world in environmentalism. Another child found a way to remove microplastics from water. Another started a clothes closet in his school so no child has to be embarrassed about their clothing. If a ten-year-old child can realize his or her dream of changing the world, so can you. One person can be as powerful as one thousand.
Bonus Tip: VOTE. Vote like the world depends on it. Because it does.